Our Britannia students represented Canada and British Columbia well in major international competitions this past summer. Alex Hansen paddled for Team Canada at the 2017 World Nations Dragon Boat Championships in Divonne-less-Bains, France and brought home 10 medals! He competed on both the U16 and U18 Canadian national teams reaching the podium in every single race with 5 gold, 3 silver and 2 bronze medals.
Here is a medal summary of Alex Hanson’s fantastic performance at the World Junior Dragon Boat Championships this past summer in France.
- Small boat Junior b 500 meter open – Silver
- Small boat Junior b 2000 meter open – Silver
- Standard boat Junior A 2000 meter open – Silver
- Small boat Junior b mixed 2000 meter mixed – Bronze
- Standard boat Junior A 500 meter mixed – Bronze
- Small boat Junior b 200 meter open – Gold
- Small boat Junior b 200 meter mixed – Gold
- Small boat Junior b 500 meter mixed – Gold
- Standard boat Junior a 200 meter mixed – Gold
- Standard boat Junior a 200 meter mixed -Gold
Ivy Liao was the lone Canadian female on the Canadian Table Tennis team to advance to the quarterfinals in the girls’ singles event at the Pan Am Junior Championships in Buenos Aires while placing third overall in team events. Ivy also competed in the Spanish Junior Open, Polish Junior Open and the World Table Championships in Germany.
Shemaiah Abatayo and Surprise Munie were key players on the U15 Provincial Team that finished fourth at the Canadian Basketball Nationals in Regina.
In Toronto, eight students and one staff represented Team BC at the North American Indigenous Games.
- Kobe McKnight, Marlon Edgar-Apps and Karalee Antoine competed in the U19 Basketball
- Jaiden Terry played U16 Lacrosse.
- Malia Terry and Kristen Branget won bronze for their U19 Lacrosse team
- Tiana Sacco, Margaret Dixon and Coach Mitra Tshan brought home silver in U16 Basketball competition.